Niihwa (니화) – (Kim Jihoon)
Debut (Y.M.D): 14.05.30
Label: RB Entertainment
Music Videos (Official Videos): Go Hard, All Night Long (옥상), Gray Day, Say Yes
1st Mini Album: Make me crazy
- Make me crazy (feat. 계범주)
- Real Talk #1 (feat. 유새윤)
- Jazzy Lady – must listen!
- 산의 영역 (God Zone) (feat. A-ONE)
- 옥상 (All night long) (Piano ver.)
- Go Hard
- Gray Day – must listen!
- 옥상 (All night long) (original ver.)
+ Say Yes (Feat. 애즈원) – Released 14.01.2016
Each year I discover more talents in Korean rap music industry. Here is one of them – Niihwa with his album “Make me crazy”, which was released in 2015.
The album presents rap music, however, when you listen to it, you will hear different styles of music combined together (soul, jazz and electronic). From the first sounds, you will recognize how professionally his songs were created. You can hear good quality background music and gentle back vocals as well. Each song in the album is very different in “colors”, which makes it more complex and for sure you will find at least one song to suit your taste.
Niihwa (Kim Jihoon) has a unique low tone of voice, which is intensive and leading, making him stand out from all other rappers. The style of Niihwa’s rapping is very smooth and musically balanced. Somehow I feel the sense of music is similar to Zion.T and I like it because it is not just a monotonous rap, it is more detailed and evokes powerful emotions.
I wish him success in the future and I hope we will hear his new songs soon.
Moreover, with the help of my friend we asked Niihwa some questions about his passion for music, and down below you can find an exclusive interview with Niihwa.
Interview with Niihwa (니화):
– Rapping or singing, what do you prefer to do?
어느 것이 더 마음에 드십니까? 랩하는 것이나 노래하는 것입니까?
– It was quite hard for me to decide about that part. In conclusion, I like doing both things. At first I was hesitating because of thought that I might do anything without a specific reason. What I realized while working is that either rapping or singing are coming from my mouth. There is no priority, I just make songs as my feel flows.
이 질문에 대해서 고민이 많았다. 결론적으로, 저는 둘 다 좋아합니다. 처음에는 조금 고민이였습니다. 랩도 좋고, 노래도 좋아했기 때문에요. 그러나 작업을 계속 하면서 깨달았습니다. 랩이든 노래든 구분없이 제가 하고싶은대로 하기로. 이렇든 저렇든, 제가 만든다는것은 변하지 않기 때문입니다.
– Which English/Korean artists influenced your music taste and your music writing?
어떤 한국/미국 아티스트가 당신의 작곡과 음악적 취향에 영향을 끼쳤나요?
– Because there are so many of them, it is a bit hard to say.
너무 많아서 이야기하기 어렵습니다.
– Do you like to participate in all the steps of music making process on your own, or you prefer to have professionals to support you?
음악 만드는 모든 과정에 직접 참여하고 싶습니까? 아니면 전문가가 도와주는걸 선호하세요?
– I am active in participating in each process, I guess that is why I have become a song writer. I think it’s not really about help, I need a collaboration with other artists. And for me this working process is enjoyable in every moment.
저는 모든 과정에 참여하는 스타일입니다. 그래서 작곡가가 된 것 같애요. 전문가의 도움을 필요한다고는 생각하지 않습니다. 도움이 아니라 뮤지션과의 협업이라고 생각해요. 그것은 언제나 즐겁습니다.
– You already had some collaborations with different artists like 계범주, 유새윤, Jay Park, A-ONE, so who would you like to work with next?
계범주, 유새윤, Jay Park, A-ONE 같은 다양한 아티스트들과 콜라보레이션을 한 적이 있으신데, 다음 번에 누구와 함께 작업하고 싶으세요?
– I am not sure, who will be that one, but for sure, I wish it can be someone with his/her own music charisma. So, if we mix together these music colours harmonically, there will become a unique musician, don’t you think it would be fun?
누가 될진 모르겠지만, 확실한 건 색을 가진 뮤지션이였으면 좋겠어요. 제가 가진 색과 어우러져서 특별한 색깔을 낼 수 있는 뮤지션이면 즐겁지 않을까요?
– If you had a chance to participate in one of these popular rapping shows, would you like to do it?
만약에 당신에게 랩 인기 있는 쇼에 참가할 기회가 주어진자면 참가할 마음이 있나요?
– If you can show me the place with a stage, I think I would do it.
무대를 보여줄 수 있는 곳이라면 참가할 것 같습니다 🙂